Monday, December 22, 2008

Weather Here and There

I may at some point experience culture shock during my time in Malaysia, but climate shock is imminent. 

Bellevue's thermometer currently reads 30 degrees, and there is a foot of snow outside my front door. I sleep with three blankets. Sledding has been occupying much of my time.

Snowskating

















Racing my older brother Kyle

















Kuching, meanwhile, is expecting temperatures over 80 degrees and thunderstorms every day this week! Kuching is the rainiest place in Malaysia, and January is the wettest month. Only a few degrees above the equator, Malaysia has an equitorial climate, meaning it's hot and humid year-round. There is never snow, even on the tallest mountain in Malaysia, Mount Kinabalu, located in Sabah which borders Sarawak to the north. While I'm there I hope to summit Mt. Kinabalu, which requires no climbing skills whatsoever. 

I had been able to see my breath during morning runs for a month or so when this past semester ended one week ago. Upon that first stride out of my dorm at 8AM, the frigid air stung my throat. Soon I'll be running where it's hot and humid, and I expect to encounter difficulty breathing for a very different reason.