Thursday, December 24, 2020

14 songs that take me to a higher place

I prefer being by myself when listening to these songs, with the lights off and my eyes closed. I'll probably grimace and make weird facial expressions. I may feel tingles all over my head. My body will definitely move - a lot. I'll be dancing, my own way. These songs are one of the reasons I do not believe the material world is all there is.

In alphabetical order by artist:

Alvin Slaughter - "Speak Lord" (Rain Down, 2000)

Eldar Djangirov Trio - "Daily Living" (Virtue, 2009)

Eldar Djangirov Trio - "Exorcist" (Virtue, 2009)

Eldar Djangirov Trio - "Point of View Redux" (Breakthrough, 2013)

Pat Metheny Group - "The First Circle" (First Circle, 1984)

Pat Metheny Group - "A Place in the World" (Speaking of Now, 2002)

Pat Metheny Group - "As It Is" (Speaking of Now, 2002)

Snarky Puppy - "Lingus" (We Like It Here, 2014)

Snarky Puppy - "What About Me?" (We Like It Here, 2014)

Stephen Newby - "Prepare Ye The Way" (Antioch Live, 2001)

Terence Blanchard - "Transform" (Bounce, 2003)

Touche Amore - "Flowers and You" (Stage Four, 2016)

Yanni - "Marching Season" (Devotion, 1997)

Yellowjackets - "My Old School" (Twenty Five, 2006)