Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Some News

  • Dr. Schatz arrived in Kuching Monday night. I'll see him on campus here at UNIMAS this week and then fly with him on Friday to Kota Kinabalu (capital of Sabah, the state to the north). We'll drive down to Lawas town, just inside Sarawak, where he has friends because he he taught secondary school there in the late '60s.
  • Last semester I helped three Korean girls with their English. This semester, through my Korean roommate, I've got two more students. They are married Korean women who moved to Malaysia with their children for a few years to learn English. Their husbands are working in Korea.
  • I've been informally picked to be part of Alamanda College's basketball team. We'll play in a tournament with the other hostels in Febraury or March. I met the rest of the guys on Alamanda's team and we played 4-on-4. My height advantage is quite humorous to them. I may be the only guy in the league over six feet, so I think they're happy to have me around for rebounding and scoring points down low.